5 walking routes in East Devon & West Dorset
If you’re looking for a picturesque and challenging walking adventure, look no further than the South West Coast Path around Sidmouth. This stunning stretch of coastline offers breathtaking views, charming towns, and plenty of opportunities to explore nature. With over 40 miles of path to choose from, here are five route options to help you plan your trip:
1. Sidmouth to Branscombe – This 6-mile route offers a gentle start to your journey, taking you through the quaint seaside town of Sidmouth before leading you along the coast to the picturesque village of Branscombe. Along the way, you’ll enjoy stunning views of the Jurassic Coastline and spot wildlife such as seals and dolphins.
2. Branscombe to Beer – This 5.5-mile walk takes you from Branscombe to the fishing village of Beer. The route is steep in parts but offers spectacular views of the surrounding countryside and coastline. Along the way, you’ll pass the famous Beer Quarry Caves and the historic Hooken Undercliff.
3. Beer to Seaton – This 7-mile walk is relatively flat, making it ideal for beginners. You’ll pass through the charming fishing village of Beer before continuing on to Seaton, where you can visit the Seaton Jurassic Centre to learn about the area’s rich history and geology.
4. Seaton to Lyme Regis – This 10-mile walk is more challenging, taking you along steep cliffs and through lush greenery. Along the way, you’ll enjoy stunning views of the Jurassic Coastline and visit the famous ‘Cobb’ harbour, which has featured in multiple films – including ‘Ammonite’, based on the life of local fossil hunter; Mary Anning.
5. Lyme Regis to West Bay – This 11-mile walk is the most challenging of the five routes, but it’s also the most rewarding. You’ll pass through the charming town of Lyme Regis before continuing on to West Bay, where you can see the famous cliffs that featured in the television series Broadchurch.
Whichever route you choose, be sure to bring comfortable walking shoes, plenty of water and snacks, and a camera to capture the stunning scenery. The South West Coast Path around Sidmouth, Devon is a must-see for anyone who loves hiking, nature, and breathtaking views.